Selection of Dam Site
The selection of Dam site for constructing a dam should be governed by the following factors.
- Suitable foundation must be available.
- For economy, the length of the dam should be as small as possible, and for a given height, it should store the maximum volume of water.
- The general bed level at dam site should preferably be higher than that of the river basin. This will reduce the height of the dam.
- A suitable site for the spillway should be available in the near vicinity.
- Materials required for the construction of dam should be easily available, either locally or in the near vicinity.
- The value of land and property submerged by the proposed dam should be as low as possible.
- The dam site should be easily accessible, so that it can be economically connected to important towns and cities.
- Site for establishing labor colonies and a healthy environment should be available near the site.